There are a variety of techniques that can be used during physical therapy to treat specific injuries best. Some techniques physical therapists use are:
- Stretching tight muscles and joints – Stretching is used to maintain flexibility in the muscles and a good range of motion.
- Exercises to strengthen your body – Strength exercises are used to improve the function of muscles by increasing strength, endurance, and maintain or advance range of motion.
- Core strengthening and stability – The core of the body is the foundation, so by strengthening the core muscles, you can lower your risk of injury and chronic overuse syndromes.
- Ice and heat application – Ice and heat can be used for warming up or cooling down the muscles and may be used to increase blood flow or decrease swelling.
- Ultrasound – By using ultrasound over the body, deep tissues are triggered by the vibrations of the sound waves which can help stimulate blood flow to these tissues.
- Electrical Stimulation – By passing electrical currents to a certain area, it may alter muscle contractility and increase blood flow to the tissues.