It’s that time of year again! We have reached that point in the summer where many of us pack up, leave town, and go on a nice relaxing vacation. But getting to your destination is often a hassle and can ultimately put a lot of stress on your lower back. For help, call our Chiropractor in Oceanside! Avoiding long periods of travel cramped up in a car or plane can be difficult when going on vacation. Despite this, there are still some steps you can take to reduce lower back pain and prevent injuries while traveling this summer.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we offer chiropractic services that can treat a wide range of injuries and conditions. This summer, our chiropractor in Oceanside and Valley Stream will be able to help prevent your vacation from being ruined by lower back pain. Here are some steps you can take to prevent lower back pain while traveling this summer:
- Get Comfortable Immediately: Before you leave for your trip, make sure that you are as comfortable as possible while sitting in your seat to avoid future pain. You can achieve this by doing the following:
- Removing your wallet, keys, or phone from your back pocket to avoid problems with your spine alignment.
- Focus on your posture. Make sure to sit up straight with your chin pulled in and your legs uncrossed.
- Utilize a seat cushion for extra support. A rolled up jacket or sweater can also do the trick.
- Get Up And Stretch: Your spine will need a break from sitting down. Sitting in one spot for too long will cause your muscles to stiffen up and spasm, resulting in added stress and pain on your spine. If you get up to stretch every 20-30 minutes, it will allow for proper blood flow which brings oxygen and nutrients to your lower back. Our chiropractor in Oceanside and Valley Stream can also show you several exercises that will assist with preventing lower back pain during travel.
- Bring An Ice Pack/Heat Pack: Inflammation will often accompany lower back pain. Using an ice pack will reduce inflammation and muscle soreness while you travel. Heat packs can also be useful in alleviating lower back pain by loosening up the muscles. Portable heat packs and long-lasting heat wraps are convenient to have during any long trips this summer.
- Pack Properly: Not only are heavy bags an inconvenience, but they can create a lot of strain and stress on your back. You can avoid this by using a light suitcase with wheels instead of a bulky duffle bag. Also, make sure that you only bring what is necessary for the trip. The more items you pack, the more strain will be put on your back. Backpacks are also beneficial because they evenly distribute the weight on your shoulders.
If you are suffering from lower back pain, be sure to contact our chiropractor in Oceanside or Valley Stream today!