Monday, April 20th, 2020
It’s only human nature to want to constantly push yourself to new athletics heights. However, when you try to increase the intensity of your runs and workouts too quickly (without preparation), you open yourself up to a range of injuries and conditions. Medial tibial stress syndrome, or shin splints, could be one of these conditions. When your shins have become filled with pain and you believe shin splints are to blame, our team at Comprehensive Healthcare Group will come up with the physical therapy regimen necessary for you to make a potential full recovery.
What Are Shin Splints?
Shin splints are a type of injury that most commonly takes place in athletes who have recently changed or increased the intensity of their training routines. Those who are experiencing this ailment will develop tenderness, soreness, and discomfort along the interior portion of their shinbone. Additionally, they may also have swelling in the lower portion of the affected leg. In the early stages of shin splints, any pain felt will most likely go away when exercising has ceased. However, when the condition becomes severe enough, the pain may be continuous.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, our physical therapists are well versed in treating patients who have developed shin splints. However, we also want to stress that the best form of treatment is preventing the injury altogether. Below are examples of how you can do your part in protecting yourself against shin splints:
- Avoid overloading the stress placed on your shins during physical activity.
- Replace running shoes every 350 to 500 miles.
- Wear shoes that have shock-absorbing insoles and offer proper arch support.
- Experiment with cross-training to lessen the impact on your shins.
- Implement more strength training into your workouts.
Physical Therapy For Shin Splints
Even after taking the necessary preventative methods, our physical therapists know that shin splints can still occur. When this happens to you, we’ll create the treatment plan for you that will yield the optimal healing results. Physical therapy is a physical-based treatment that promotes healing from within an affected area. By choosing our team for treatment, you’ll be taught how to perform a variety of therapeutic stretches and exercises that will help reduce and eliminate your shin splints, including the below:
- Straight knee calf wall stretch.
- Standing ankle dorsiflexion stretch.
- Seated calf stretch.
- Bent knee calf wall stretch.
- Wall toe raises.
Request An Appointment
Experiencing pain during a workout is an easy way to become discouraged as an athlete. If you’ve developed shin splints, don’t let pain last longer than it should. At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, our multidisciplinary team offers pain management, physical therapy, and chiropractic to help patients overcome a variety of injuries, including shin splints. When you’re ready to receive the treatment you need, contact us today!
Monday, October 21st, 2019
October has marked the commemoration of National Physical Therapy and Chiropractic Month! Chiropractors and Physical Therapists alike are excited to spread awareness in regards to the benefits of their professions. If you are looking for physical therapy in Oceanside, as well as a chiropractor, Comprehensive Health Care Group is a versatile facility that offers an abundance of healthcare services. Our expert team of physical therapists and chiropractors look forward to helping each patient reach their full physical potential.
Why Celebrating Is Important:
October is a vital month to spread awareness about some of the services offered at Comprehensive Healthcare Group. We are dedicated not only to celebrating the amazing physical therapists and chiropractors but also to distributing education about what physical therapy can do for you! Many people have the impression that physical therapy or chiropractic care is only for those who have been recently injured, but the truth is anyone who is experiencing pain should make an appointment. Physical therapy can range from balance therapy to muscle strapping, while simultaneously, chiropractic care focuses on your Musculoskeletal health. The health of the Musculoskeletal system ensures that we can move and live the way we want to, without painful interference. Regular occurrences, like lower back pain, can indicate that you may need to work on the strength of your musculoskeletal system with a chiropractor or physical therapy in Oceanside. In October, we focus on spreading awareness about the symptoms of pain and how physical therapists and chiropractors can help relieve discomfort.
Comprehensive Health Care Group specializes in chiropractic care and physical therapy in Oceanside. We offer a large variety of services to help accommodate all of our patients’ needs. Our chiropractic care revolves around Therapeutic Modalities, which include treatment methods such as spinal manipulation, electrical muscle stimulation, and exercise therapy. As for physical therapy, our services include some of the following:
- Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment Plan.
- Sports Injury Physical Therapy.
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy.
- Kinesio Taping® Method / Muscle Strapping.
- Post-Trauma Physical and Manipulative Therapy.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy in Oceanside:
There are quite a few benefits achieved from attending physical therapy or receiving chiropractic care. Whether or not you’ve always been an active person, physical therapy will help improve your range of motion and maximize your amount of movement. Like a personal trainer, physical therapists and chiropractors curate a specialized plan just for you! After giving you a physical analysis, our expert staff will be able to create a comprehensive plan to help you inside and outside of therapy sessions.
One of the biggest benefits of physical therapy and chiropractic care is being able to opt-out of opioids and surgeries in many cases. While opioids work well to mask the pain, they will never be able to help you fully recover and may lead to a spiraling addiction. Surgeries are inherently beneficial for injuries (if required). But the cost, risk, and the time taken to recover make a surgical procedure a less desirable option. Surgeries and opioids are typically very expensive treatment options, even with health insurance. Although these solutions may seem necessary, many ailments are relieved and improved through physical therapy or chiropractic care alone.
Contact Comprehensive Healthcare Group for Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy in Oceanside:
Whether you have been hurt due to a car accident, sporting accident, or just feel chronic pain in your body, don’t force yourself to suffer and endure chronic pain. By making an appointment for physical therapy in Oceanside today, you can take the first steps to achieve a successful recovery. Remember to celebrate your physical therapists and chiropractors during October as they work hard to improve the health of the patients in their community.
Monday, August 20th, 2018
Comprehensive Healthcare Group is an established and well regarded multi-disciplinary practice providing traditional and holistic medical treatment in the fields of physical medicine, orthopedics, physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture and pain management at our fully staffed locations in Nassau County, Long Island, NY. Our specialists emphasize individualized patient needs through a variety of healthcare services under one roof. At this location, we offer physical therapy in Oceanside for all of our patients. For over 20 years, we have developed a reputation for patient-directed care using the latest technologies and qualified providers. We consult with new and existing patients in our Oceanside, Valley Stream, NY locations.
- Over two decades of distinguished health care delivery in Nassau County, Long Island our expanded facility provides the optimum in service to patients and industry.
- Competent managed health care, individualized for each patient's needs with a focused follow up care plan.
- Staff of certified specialists provides for the finest in acute, trauma, rehabilitative care and acute/chronic pain management services.
- Through the combination of traditional medicine and natural alternatives, our physicians employ a variety of modalities to produce positive patient outcomes.
- Both office locations have state-of-art digital X-Ray equipment for evaluation.
- As a result of the careful planning and implementation at every phase of our patients' care, we are confident in the preparation of complete patient records, with supportive documentation, designed to meet specific needs.
- Patient (and attorneys) have access to a health care provider seven days a week.
- Same day appointments (most times).
- Bi-Lingual staff and telephone communications.
- Open evenings until 7:30 pm, Monday-Friday. Free parking.
InjuriesWhether your examination is for Personal Injury, Motor Vehicle, Industrial Accident or Social Security Disability, we will direct you to the proper physician - the first time - for an accurate diagnosis, and implementation of an appropriate treatment plan and comprehensive diagnostic work-up. Patient consultation reports are supervised by the Medical Director. Most narratives are prepared and available within one week of the patient's appointment. To schedule an appointment, call our Oceanside, NY office at 516.764.7760 or our Valley Stream NY office at 516.593.7990.
Sports Injury Treatment in Oceanside, NY
As an athlete, physical therapy in Oceanside is a crucial component of recovering from injuries, both on and off the field. Even during the off-season, physical therapy is essential for returning to peak physical strength. Physical therapy provides many benefits to the body in the aftermath of an injury. By supporting the body, physical therapy will allow the injury to heal more effectively than it would under normal conditions. Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we offer many different services for athletes who have suffered injuries. Our Oceanside Physical Therapy Staff can assist athletes with their recovery and help them return to the field as quickly and safely as possible.
How Physical Therapy Helps Recovery:
Our Oceanside Physical Therapy Staff will start by working with you to create a customized treatment plan based on the nature of your injury. This treatment plan will be designed to meet your physical needs and personal objectives. Our treatment plans are primarily composed of the following:
- Ice/Heat Therapy
The purpose of these specific techniques is to:
- Restore range of motion
- Decrease pain and stress on the body
- Develop strength and flexibility
- Increase endurance
Why Physical Therapy in Oceanside is Especially Important for Athletes:
Utilizing physical therapy after an injury could mean the difference between a short and productive recovery, and a long, drawn-out recovery. Physical therapy is particularly important for athletes, as not having physical therapy after an injury could put their athletic careers in jeopardy. Just because an injury occurs during the off-season, it does not diminish the importance of receiving physical therapy. Off-season physical therapy ensures that your body is healthy and in shape before the season starts. Physical therapy goes beyond just recovery, as it also works to improve the body as a whole. If you are an athlete that has experienced an injury, contact our physical therapist in Oceanside today!
Orthopedic Physical Therapy in Oceanside
Orthopedic physical therapy deals with the rehabilitation and prevention of injuries to the musculoskeletal system - the network of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves that gives the body its shape and allows us to move.
Many of the problems our patients face involve the joints, places in the body where two or more bones meet. Humans have three different kinds of joints: fibrous (in the skull), cartilaginous (in the spine) and synovial (the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles and feet). This last type is what we usually refer to when we say "joint." Ligaments connect bones to each other, and tendons connect muscles and bones.
These parts of our bodies can be damaged from a traumatic injury, disease, or the natural aging process. Commonly treated conditions include arthritis, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, sprains and strains, knee and shoulder problems, and pediatric conditions such as club foot.
Manual Physical Therapy in Oceanside
Manual physical therapy is a type of hands-on treatment that involves tissue and joint manipulation. The goal is to increase mobility and reduce stress and pain in the muscles, joints and connective tissues. The practitioner manually applies pressure, tension and sometimes vibration to the targeted tissues and structures.
Manual therapy is not a one-size-fits-all procedure. Rather, we create a treatment plan to meet the specific needs of each patient. A treatment session can include several different techniques, including deep-tissue massage, spine mobilization, and joint manipulation.
Kinesio Taping® Method / Muscle Strapping
The Kinesio Taping Method uses a special, elastic tape to relax and support muscles and to reduce pain and inflammation. Applied directly to the skin, this “muscle strapping” technique is used to deal with sports injuries, carpal tunnel, back pain, and much more. Unlike traditional athletic tape, the Kinesio Taping Method allows for full range of motion,
Common application sites include:
Post-Trauma Physical and Manipulative Therapy in Oceanside
Injuries like a fall or car crash can take a serious toll on our bones and soft tissues. In the aftermath of an accident, patients may be experiencing pain, loss of movement, weakness, loss of sensation, exaggerated reflexes and difficulty breathing, depending on the type and severity of their condition.
To reduce pain and increase stability, our physical therapy practice on Long Island NY addresses these sorts of post-trauma injuries with a comprehensive treatment plan drawing from several disciplines. These can include a physical therapy regimen, manipulative therapy including massage, and much more.
Long Term Benefits of Neck Pain Physical Therapy in Oceanside
Straining yourself because of neck pain can not only be discouraging but it can also become a hindrance to everyday activities. No matter the initial cause of injury, neck discomfort needs to be resolved with utmost haste in order to help prevent other complications from occurring.
In most cases, neck pain can range from either temporary to chronic, depending upon the severity. In order to properly treat this condition, you may need to receive both physical therapy as well as chiropractic care for long-lasting results. These two forms of treatment go hand-in-hand when treating chronic pain of the spine and neck. Our office not only offers physical therapy in Oceanside but also physical therapy for our patient's convenience. If you have neck pain, your first step is to determine the cause, and the next step is to visit Comprehensive Healthcare Group to receive treatment and the proper care.
Unfortunately, neck pain can be caused by an abundance of factors. On some occasions, radiating pain can be stimulated due to an injury, other times the cause may not be quite as clear. Visiting a location for physical therapy in Oceanside and receiving tests can help you figure out the cause of your pain. Some of the most common potential causes for your neck pain may include the following:
- Overuse Injuries - this type of neck pain is typically temporary and results from straining your neck muscles over a long period of time.
- Arthritis - all of your joints are at risk for being worn down from arthritis, and the neck is no exception. The deterioration of the soft tissues surrounding your joint bones can cause pain and discomfort in the long term, especially when using the joint often as a result of repetitive motions.
- Pinched Nerve (Cervical Radiculopathy) - this condition can affect the sensitive nerve endings in the spine, leading to pain radiating throughout the neck area. The compression of the nerves along your spine can be the result of a herniated or degenerated disc in the spinal column.
- Headaches/Migraines - these conditions can cause pain and stiffness in the neck as a result of the pain and heaviness felt in the head.
If you’re unsure of the cause of your neck pain, visiting your physician and determining why you’re experiencing pain is the first step towards healing. Once you’ve determined the cause, you can begin your treatment by receiving specialized care.
What Are The Benefits?
A physical therapist may offer both passive and active physical therapy to help treat your neck pain. Passive physical therapy includes treatments like massage therapy, the application of ice or heat, or electrotherapy. Active physical therapy treatments will involve you doing specified movements that stretch and work the muscles in the neck.
Pairing physical therapy with chiropractic care can offer huge benefits, as one compliments the other. While receiving physical therapy, getting regular chiropractic adjustments of the neck can realign the joints, improve mobility and flexibility, reduce inflammation and pain. Some benefits of utilizing physical therapy in Oceanside include:
- Potential for pain reductions.
- Boosted mobility.
- Improved flexibility.
- Strengthened muscles, helping to increase injury prevention.
- Increased range of motion, making movements more comfortable.
- Improvement in joint function.
If you’re looking to complement your physical therapy with chiropractic care, Comprehensive Healthcare Group can offer you the treatment and relief you need. Contact us for physical therapy in Oceanside and to schedule an appointment for stopping your neck pain today.
Four Distinct Benefits of Physical Therapy in Oceanside
Physical therapy is important to help you along your healing process. While some may not be aware of this, you don’t need a prescription from your doctor to start seeing a physical therapist. You can start seeking treatment yourself! With physical therapy in Oceanside, you can expect to undergo a physical evaluation, physical therapy treatment, and receive self-management recommendations.
With the physical therapists with Comprehensive Healthcare Group, you can expect to reap all the benefits of physical therapy in Oceanside!
Many people do not know what to expect when going to a physical therapist for the very first time. Some common impairments that your physical therapist will measure include:
- Range of Motion
- Functional mobility
- Neurological screening
Once the initial examination is completed, your physical therapist will begin creating an individualized treatment plan for you. Your physical therapist may also recommend how frequently you should attend. Never hesitate to ask questions regarding your treatment!
Depending on your reason for physical therapy treatment, the benefits may vary. However, the most common benefits include:
- Improved mobility and movement- Movement aids in the prevention of obesity, as well as reducing the risk of a heart attack or stroke. This can also improve your balance.
- Fall Prevention- Falling or injuries caused by a fall is very common among older adults. An effective physical therapy method is a treatment plan of exercises that provide balance and strength training.
- Pain management- There are many methods that a physical therapist may use to decrease pain. These methods include:
- Manual therapy
- Dry needling
- Electrical stimulation
- Strength exercises
- Pain relief
- Avoid surgery- Studies have shown that physical therapy is often a cheaper alternative to surgery. It also is often just as effective as surgery. The treatment plans for your injury are personalized just for you by your physical therapist in Oceanside.
Comprehensive Healthcare Group can allow you to take advantage of all the benefits of physical therapy and help you get back on your feet in no time! Contact us today to get started!
What is the Goal of Physical Therapy in Oceanside?
Physical therapists are trained professionals that evaluate, diagnose, and treat physical dysfunctions due to injury, disability, or condition. Through treatment, physical therapists rehabilitate your physical function and mobility of the target area and promote physical activity. If you think you would benefit from physical therapy in Oceanside, contact us at Comprehensive Healthcare Group. We’ll get you started on the perfect treatment plan for you!
Physical therapy is meant to promote movement, reduce pain, and restore function. Physical therapists, depending on the condition of the patient, may mobilize or massage a joint or muscle to achieve these goals. Other goals may include:
- Prevent disability or injury
- Avoid surgery
- Promote balance
- Control bladder or bowels
- Adapt to an artificial limb
- Learn to use an assistive device such as a cane or walker
The ultimate goal is to allow you to return to your usual day-to-day activities that were hindered by an injury or condition.
Types of Physical Therapy
There are many different types of physical therapy in Oceanside that may help you achieve the goal of returning to your typical daily routine. Some of those types include:
- Orthopedic physical therapy- This type of physical therapy focuses on musculoskeletal injuries, such as the muscles, bones, ligaments, and tendons. This is helpful for fractures, sprains, tendonitis, and other medical problems regarding the musculoskeletal system.
- Geriatric physical therapy- This is typically for older patients interested in improving their movement and physical functions. Conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, balance disorders, and Alzheimer’s disease may benefit from this type of treatment.
- Neurological physical therapy- This is also helpful for Alzheimer’s disease, as well as cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis. Treatment focuses mainly on the responsiveness of limbs and the treatment of paralysis.
- Wound care therapy- This treatment ensures that a wound is getting enough oxygen and blood. In other words, this type of physical therapy in Oceanside improves circulation by manual therapies, electric stimulation, and compression therapy.
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation- This is meant to help control your bladder and bowel movement. It also helps treat urinary urgency and pelvic pain from injury or surgery.
While there are many different types of physical therapy in Oceanside, they have the same ultimate goal of getting you back to doing your usual activities without the pain of a previous condition or an injury. Contact us with Comprehensive Healthcare Group to schedule an appointment today!
Driving Directions To Oceanside Office
Via NY-27 Heading East
- Head east on NY-27 E toward Randall Ave
- Exit onto Merrick Rd
- Turn right onto Lincoln Ave
- Turn right onto Long Beach Rd
- Pass by Bank of America Financial Center (on the right)
- Continue straight onto Lincoln Ave/Lower Lincoln Ave
- Destination will be on the right
Via Southern State Pkwy and Long Beach Rd Heading West
- Merge onto Southern State Pkwy
- Take exit 20N toward Baldwin Rd N
- Turn left onto Weir St
- Turn left onto Long Beach Rd
- Pass by Bank of America Financial Center (on the right in 3.3 mi)
- Continue straight onto Lincoln Ave/Lower Lincoln Ave
- Destination will be on the right
Via Meadowbrook State Pkwy Heading South
- Get on Meadowbrook State Pkwy S
- Follow Meadowbrook State Pkwy S to NY-27 W in Freeport.
- Take exit M8W to merge onto NY-27 W toward New York
- Follow N Long Beach Rd to Lincoln Ave/Lower Lincoln Ave in Oceanside
- Turn left onto N Long Beach Rd
- Continue straight onto Lincoln Ave/Lower Lincoln Ave
- Destination will be on the right
Thursday, June 28th, 2018
Chiropractor in Valley Stream
Headaches are a common medical condition that many patients experience on a consistent basis, but treatment with a chiropractor in Valley Stream can help. Headache types can range from to the extremely common tension headaches, to the more painful cluster headaches. One of the most well-known and feared forms of headache pain is caused by migraines. Migraines are notorious for causing debilitating pain and discomfort. They can often appear without warning and disappear just as suddenly. Scientists are unsure about what the exact cause of migraines is. However, many believe that genetic and environmental factors play a huge role.
Those suffering from a migraine attack are often left completely debilitated from the pain. The general symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to lights and sounds. In extreme cases, a person might experience visual disturbances as a result of the migraine. While the symptoms tend to be very similar, there are actually several different types of migraines. Two of the most important types of migraines include episodic migraines and chronic migraines.
For those suffering from episodic migraines, the migraine attacks will occur less than 15 times per month. The attacks themselves will tend to last less than 24 hours. A majority of migraine cases, fall under this category. Many people will not experience another migraine attack for quite a while. However, If they are ignored, episodic migraines will eventually develop into chronic migraines over the course of months and years.
For those suffering from chronic migraines, the migraine attacks will occur more than 15 days within a given month. Chronic migraines can lead to a drastic decline in a patient’s quality of life, as they spend nearly half a month in pain and agony. Chronic migraine sufferers often have trouble maintaining jobs and relationships as a result of living with constant pain. a side effect of chronic migraines often includes depression.
Although there is no cure for migraines, there are several treatment options available for reducing pain. One safe and effective treatment option includes visiting a chiropractor. Chiropractors, such as our chiropractor in Valley Stream, have been extremely effective at eliminating migraine pain entirely. They have also been shown to reduce the likelihood of other migraine attacks in the future.
Contact Us Today
Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, episodic and chronic migraines are just two of the many different health conditions that our chiropractor in Valley Stream can treat. From spinal manipulation to electrical muscle stimulation, we offer a wide range of different chiropractic services for our patients.
Thursday, June 21st, 2018
Fibromyalgia is considered a chronic disorder defined by broad musculoskeletal pain paired with fatigue, sleep, basic memory, and mood complications. Fibromyalgia heightens pain sensations by changing the way the brain processes pain signals. Comprehensive Healthcare Group, a physiatrist in Oceanside and Valley Stream uses personalized management techniques to reduce these sensations.
Research states that consistent stimulation of the nerves causes the brain of those suffering from fibromyalgia to interact differently. This change elevates specific neurotransmitters in the brain that signal pain. These neurotransmitters develop a memory to pain, becoming more hypersensitive and can cause overreactions to pain signals.
Fibromyalgia is more commonly seen in women and those who have a genetic history of fibromyalgia inside one’s family. Comprehensive Healthcare Group has a physiatrist in Oceanside that offers some of the best treatment for fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia causes one to have aches all over, including some “trigger points” in your body that can continue to ache no matter what at-home remedies you may try. Common symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- General Pain- Dull aches and pains that have been consistent for at least three months. These pains normally occur all over your body, both above and below your waist area.
- Fatigue- Even if you are sleeping for a long period of time, people with fibromyalgia still often wake up groggy and do not feel refreshed. In some cases, those with fibromyalgia may develop specific sleep disorders, including but not limited to restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea. Restless leg syndrome includes a sensation in one’s legs that gives you a constant urge to move to relieve the sensation, while sleep apnea obstructs ones breathing during sleep.
- “Fibro Fog”- The symptom of “fibro fog” impacts the ability to maintain focus to complete basic mental tasks. This fog impacts your ability to choose words and hold conversations.
While there is no determined cure for fibromyalgia, there are management techniques known by our physiatrist in Oceanside to help control pain brought by fibromyalgia. Some of the most successful management techniques come from exercise and relaxation, reducing personal stress is also known to weaken the fibromyalgia pain.
There is not one specific approach known for pain management, but each patient who is seen by a physiatrist in Oceanside has their own disciplined focus arranged to set them up to function at the highest possible level. Rehabilitation is tailored to each symptom of pain to reduce stress caused by chronic pain.
In addition, some exercise will improve your function and diminish pain. Overworking may flare up pain so it is important to listen to your body. It is important to focus on aerobic exercises such as walking, swimming, or biking, one common recommendation is to complete 30 minutes of walking, swimming or biking at least three times a week. Once again it is important to remember that there is no competition when it comes to rehabilitation, everyone's body is different and reacts differently to different portions of aerobics. Slower paced practices include yoga or hot yoga, yoga uses deep breathing and slow movements to relax the body and keep fibromyalgia from flaring.
If you or anyone you know suffers from fibromyalgia or the symptoms of fibromyalgia do not hesitate to contact Comprehensive Healthcare Group, a physiatrist in Oceanside and Valley Stream today.
Thursday, June 14th, 2018
Whiplash is a common condition that causes pain in the neck and head specifically. The most common cause of whiplash is being involved in a car accident. Often times, when the car of the injured person is hit from behind, the force causes the passenger’s head to abruptly jerk forward and then backward. The intense impact can cause the muscles in the neck to stretch and sometimes tear. For a chiropractor in Oceanside or Valley Stream that treats whiplash, contact us here.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash can cause a variety of uncomfortable symptoms. Some of them include the following:
- Neck pain
- Ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
- Jaw pain
- Shoulder pain
- Back pain
Chiropractic treatments such as manual manipulation may help especially if the spine has been forced out of alignment from the injury. Studies have shown that chiropractic care is a great treatment option for back pain relief. For a chiropractor in Oceanside, visit our website here for more information.
How is it treated?
Receiving treatment quickly is important so that you can catch the injury before it worsens. In the past, doctors would give patients a soft cervical collar to immobilize and protect the injured soft tissues, but recent studies tell us otherwise. Keeping the neck mobile and practicing neck rotations to improve the range of motion can speed up the healing process. A visit with a chiropractor will provide you with a proper diagnosis and treatment regimen that is right for you.
Chiropractic treatments such as hot and cold therapy as well as range-of-motion exercises can be very beneficial for pain and stiffness. For a chiropractor in Oceanside, contact us here to make an appointment.
What is the prognosis for whiplash?
Depending on the severity of your injury, whiplash injuries usually heal within three months. For more mild injuries, the strained and/or sprained ligaments in the neck can take just a few days to weeks to heal. To receive non-invasive, safe and pharmaceutical-free treatment, contact us here to make an appointment with a chiropractor in Oceanside.
Thursday, June 7th, 2018
Many patients report having low back pain throughout their lives. This pain can be caused by anything from poor posture to a herniated disc. Significant research has been conducted to show that low back pain should be treated with chiropractic care in the early stages of treatment. Not only is it effective, but it safe and non-invasive. To make an appointment with a chiropractor in Valley Stream or Oceanside, contact us here.
Common Reasons for Low Back Pain
Low back pain can be caused by a wide variety of things. Sometimes injuries to the vertebrae can create inflammation and pain, and other times poor posture is the sole cause for low back pain. Some of the most common reasons that patients suffer from low back pain are:
- A torn or pulled ligament and/or muscle in the back!
- Also known as a sprain or strain, these injuries are common because they can be caused by so many different things (lifting a heavy object, poor posture, over-stretching, slipping and/or falling down).
- If you think you may have pulled or torn a muscle in your back, contact us here to make an appointment with a chiropractor in Valley Stream.
- Sports injuries
- Degenerative disc disease
- A disease in which the disc between vertebrae within the spine loses hydration, causing tears and weakness.
- Spinal stenosis
- A condition where the spinal canal narrows, compressing the nerves and causing pain.
- Joint dysfunction
Chiropractic Treatments for Low Back Pain
Why should you choose chiropractic as one of your first lines of treatment? The methods that chiropractors use involve little to no risks and zero pharmaceutical drugs. In those that suffer from low back pain, many different treatment options are available. For a chiropractor in Valley Stream, contact us here to make an appointment. Treatment methods can include the following:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustment
- Chiropractors will use their hands to manually align the spine into its proper position. This can improve range of motion, reduce irritability, and most importantly reduce low back pain.
- Chiropractic spinal adjustment
- This is a more gentle approach to spinal manipulation, using a lower-velocity adjustment speed to increase the range of motion in the spine.
- Heat and cold therapy
- Using heating pads and ice packs can reduce inflammation and allow for more blood to flow to the affected area.
- Heat and cold therapy
- Diet counseling
- Many chiropractors may offer lifestyle advice on how you may change some habits such as eating for weight loss to relieve the pressure that the extra weight adds to your back.
- Diet counseling
- This provides deep heat to areas reducing pain and inflammation.
Wednesday, March 29th, 2017
One of the four major knee ligaments, the ACL or anterior cruciate ligament is critical to knee stability. A tear in the ACL ligament can be painful and immobilize you. If you have symptoms such as tenderness, pain, swelling or feel a sudden "pop" in your knee, call Comprehensive Healthcare Group (CHG). Our Orthopedic team will diagnose your injury and design a structured program tailored to individual needs. Comprehensive Healthcare Group has two Long Island centers located in Oceanside and Valley Stream, NY.
How an ACL Tear Occurs
An ACL tear injury is quite common among athletes and can result from a direct blow or strain. Most sports-related ACL tears are found to be "non-contact" injuries, or the injury occurs without the contact of another athlete. Landing incorrectly from a jump, sudden slowing down for changing direction, and suddenly stopping are also factors that can cause such an injury. People involved in physically active jobs can also experience this.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
- You may feel a "pop" in your knee and also that your knee is "giving out" from under you.
- Knee pain.
- Tenderness along the joint line.
- You'll also have knee swelling which occurs within 24 hours of your injury and pain.
- Sometimes the pain may resolve by itself. However, when you begin walking or returning to any physical activity, you'll feel instability in your knee which may cause more damage to your knee's cushioning cartilage.
Accurate diagnosis is essential to identify the condition. Once you've begun experiencing instability or pain, you must immediately consult an orthopedist. Digital X-rays and advanced diagnostic modalities can help in accurate diagnosis of the ligament tear.
Sports medicine deals with conditions such as these. Treatment is provided with the idea of enabling patients to return to their active lifestyle as soon as possible. The professionals in a sports medicine team typically include an orthopedic surgeon, a physician, a rehabilitation specialist, physical therapist and, if you are an athlete, an athletic trainer as well.
Treatment Options and Rehabilitation
- You have nonsurgical options for getting your ACL tear treated. These include:
- Bracing: Your doctor may advise you to wear a brace to protect your knee from instability. You may be asked to walk around in crutches to ensure you don't put too much weight on the affected leg.
- Physical Therapy: As the swelling decreases, physical therapy is usually provided which is the primary element of a rehabilitation program. The physical therapist will prescribe specific exercises for restoring knee function and overall strengthening of the leg muscles.
- Taping: After injury to the anterior cruciate ligament, taping may be needed to support the knee. Taping may be helpful to protect the area while it is recovering.
- In more severe cases, surgery may be required for reconstructing the ACL with a tissue graft. This is done when the knee has become really unstable.
Rehabilitation is important whether or not your treatment program involves surgery. Even after surgery, physical therapy followed by a strengthening program plays an important role in your rehabilitation. It helps you get back to your normal life by enabling your knee to regain strength and motion.
If you're an athlete, physical therapy and rehabilitation would focus on the sport you're involved in and help you get back to full performance.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group (CHG), we offer customized ACL tear treatment options in our two Long Island centers located in Oceanside and Valley Stream, NY which will help you get back to the life you love.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016
Sprains and strains are among the most common injuries for those seeking physical therapy treatment on Long Island. It is commonly seen during summer from sports injuries and in winter from slip and falls. These injuries can also result from motor vehicle accidents, work related injuries etc. Sprains are different from strains. A sprain occurs when a ligament tears or stretches. While a strain refers to any injury affecting your muscles or tendons.
RICE - rest, ice, compress and elevate, along with physical therapy and exercises are the most recommended sprains and strains treatment. RICE is the first step in relieving pain and swelling to promote optimum healing and flexibility outlined as follows:
- Rest the injured area.
- Apply an ice pack for 10 to 15-minute periods every three hours.
- The next stage involves applying a compression bandage around the area, but not too tightly.
- Finally you should ensure the area affected is kept in a position above the heart, which helps reduce the swelling. This can be done by lying down and keeping the affected areaelevated.
Physical therapy treatment varies based on the severity of the injury:
- Physical therapy for sprains include therapeutic exercises for stretching and strengthening muscles around the affected joint. Joint mobilization techniques are carried out, as well as heat or ice, ultrasound and electrical stimulation.
- Physical therapy for strains includes stretching and strengthening the affected as well as the surrounding muscles. Soft tissue mobilization is carried out to break up the fibrous and the scar tissues. Heat and ice, or either of them, are used as needed for controlling the pain and swelling.
The goal of physical therapy with respect to strains is to enable the healing of the injured muscle as well as preventing scar tissue from building up significantly. The goal is to get patients back into their normal daily routine.
Comprehensive Healthcare Group’s professional team located in Valley Stream and Oceanside specializes in treatment of sprains and strains. We will help you get back to your daily activities and will advise you on how to prevent and avoid such injuries.
Tuesday, July 21st, 2015
“Why do I have pain in my neck and back?”
“Why do I have pain in my arms or legs that seems to be related to movement in my neck or back?”
People from Oceanside and Valley Stream and many other towns all over the US have the same question. A gardener in Lynbrook tells his wife, “It hurts when I turn my head.” A retired engineer who bowls regularly in Rockville Centre has pain when he releases the ball. And their friends in Long Beach and Jamaica and Island Park say, “Hey, I get a pain like that too!”
It is estimated that by age 65, 95% of the population has some amount of degenerative disc disease. A 2014 report from Medscape states that “as many as 80% of adults in the United States experience at least one episode of low back pain during their lifetime.” And it occurs in patients of all ages.
A very common answer your friends might tell you to “Why do I have pain in my neck and back?” is that you could have a slipped disc.
Patients who come to our offices in Oceanside and Valley Stream are finding relief from slipped disc pain through quality physical therapy and chiropractic care.
But what is a slipped disc? - Chiropractor in Valley Stream
The discs of the spine are protective pads between the bones of the spine (vertebrae) and are also called intervertebral discs. They provide shock absorption and protect the vertebrae so they can do their job of supporting the spine and body. Although they do not actually slip, a disc can move or break. If the cartilage of the disc fails, this is called herniation and the inner gel portion of the disc is no longer contained and can no longer provide the protection needed. The leaking substance, often compared to “jelly in a doughnut,” can place pressure on the spinal cord and nearby nerves, causing pain, numbness, or weakness around the damaged disc or anywhere along the area supplied by the nerves originating near that disc.
What causes a slipped disc?
A slipped disc occurs when the outer ring becomes weak or torn and allows the inner portion to slip out. This can happen with age. Certain motions may also cause a slipped disc. A disc can slip out of place while you are twisting or turning to lift an object. Lifting a very heavy object can place great strain on the lower back, resulting in a slipped disc. If you have a very physically demanding job that requires a lot of lifting, you may be at increased risk for slipped discs. Car accidents can be a causative factor for slipped discs when the trauma of impact damages the disc. Overweight individuals are at increased risk for a slipped disc because their discs must support additional weight. Sedentary lifestyle and weak musculature may also contribute to the development of a slipped disc.
What are the symptoms of a slipped disc?
Symptoms can include pain and numbness, most commonly on one side of the body, pain that extends to your arms and/or legs, pain that worsens at night, pain that worsens after standing or sitting, pain when walking short distances, unexplained muscle weakness, and tingling, aching, or burning sensations.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group offices in Oceanside and Valley Stream, we can assist you in finding relief through our caring specialists.
How do you diagnose for a slipped disc?
Imaging studies may be ordered by your doctor to determine the cause of your pain and to confirm if it’s caused by a disc problem. X-rays and CT scans really only identify bony abnormalities. So, more specialized tests include MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or myelogram (which involves injecting a contrast dye into the spinal column before imaging), which are used to diagnose a deformed disc and to see how specific nerves are affected. Your doctor may obtain these tests after a course of treatment fails to provide you relief over a period of 4 to 6 weeks.
How do you treat a slipped disc?
Your doctor may prescribe rest or limited activity for several days followed by a gradual increase in activity over the next few weeks. Strict bed rest is generally not advised because people with back pain have been shown to recover more quickly with normal activity as long as lifting, bending, and straining are limited.
Trained specialists at CHG can guide your physical therapy, chiropractic care, exercise and massage to get you back to normal functioning efficiently, safely and expeditiously.
Most patients can relieve slipped disc pain using an exercise program that stretches and strengthens the back and surrounding muscles. The physical therapists at CHG can recommend exercises that strengthen your back while reducing your pain. Taking over-the-counter pain relievers and avoiding heavy lifting and painful positions can also help. Trying to remain as active as possible through stretching or low-impact activities such as walking is often recommended.
Chiropractor in Valley Stream
The vast majority of disc problems improve without any surgical intervention. Most people are able to return to normal function (with emphasis on protecting the spine from recurrent or new injury) within a short time. To prevent reinjuring of a slipped disc, long-term maintenance exercise regimens are recommended and will be outlined for you before you are discharged from care. In addition, use safe lifting techniques. Bend and lift from your knees, not your waist. Maintain a healthy weight. Don’t sit in one position for long periods of time; get up and stretch periodically. Do exercises to strengthen the muscles in your back, legs, and abdomen.
Most people with slipped discs respond well to conservative treatment. The professionals at CHG in Oceanside and Valley Stream want to help you reach your best possible health outcome! If you're looking for a chiropractor in Valley Stream, contact us today!
You're in Good Health!