Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
Joints are areas of the body where two bones come together for the purpose of movement. When the structure of these joints becomes compromised, it will make moving a difficult and pain-filled task. Fortunately, joint replacement surgeries can be done to replace the damaged joints with artificial ones. At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we offer physical therapy in Oceanside, and have helped many patients recover after undergoing these procedures. Our team would like to share some of the common reasons a patient would need joint replacement surgery and how we’re able to help aid the recovery process.
Reasons For Common Joint Replacements
When you are unable to make specific movements without pain, it can make your life uncomfortable and difficult. Joint replacement surgery may be the only option to eliminate this pain and increase your quality of life. Below are three common examples of joint replacements surgery, and why patients have them performed:
- Hip Replacement: The hip is a ball-and-socket joint, which allows for the rotational movement necessary for walking. During a hip replacement, both the socket of the hip and the top of your femur will be replaced. The main culprit of the damage caused to these two areas typically tends to involve arthritis.
- Knee Replacement: Similar to hip replacements, knee replacements are necessary due to arthritis destroying these joints over time. The damage sustained as a result can cause pain when walking, and in some cases, bone deformities. During this surgery, any cartilage, bone structure, or supporting ligaments that were lost are replaced with artificial materials.
- Shoulder Replacement: Advanced forms of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and shoulder fractures are the most common reasons that put people in need of shoulder replacements. These will all harm the strength, range of motion, and functionality of the shoulder. However, these negative effects can be eliminated with this surgery.
Physical Therapy In Oceanside After Replacement Surgery
Going through a joint replacement surgery will be just the first step in your journey to a pain-free life. Once your body has received its new artificial joint, physical therapy in Oceanside will likely be needed in order to help finish up the healing process. After surgery, scar tissue can develop, and range of motion can be limited. Our physical therapists at Comprehensive Healthcare Group will be able to correct these issues through the use of physical-based treatment. Through a mixture of stretching and strength exercises, you will be able to make a full recovery.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, we are a multi-disciplinary practice committed to helping our patients make a full recovery after an injury or operation. Recovering from a joint replacement surgery may seem daunting at first, but our team will be here to help. By visiting us for physical therapy in Oceanside, we will make sure to aid you in every step of the way throughout your recovery! To learn more about joint replacements, and how physical therapy will help with this process, contact us today.
Wednesday, June 5th, 2019
Few things are more difficult to deal with in life than constant joint pain. To make matters worse, the drop in temperature and changes in barometric pressure that come with the winter season will do your joint pain no favors. Our team at Comprehensive Healthcare Group understands this and wants to help you alleviate your joint pain year-round! By following some of the below tips, you can help reduce or avoid joint pain this winter.
- Stick To A Healthy Diet: With the holiday season in full swing, it can be easy to over-indulge in all of the delicious and festive food that comes around this time of year. While it is by no means an issue to enjoy this food, you need to make sure not to overdo it. Excess weight can put extra pressure on your joints, possibly leading to joint pain. By enjoying your food in moderation and sticking to a proper diet, you can manage your weight and reduce the risk of joint pain.
- Dress In Layers: The frigid temperatures can lead to an array of issues this winter, including joint pain. To help deal with the cold, make sure you layer up before stepping outside. By covering up typical problematic areas for joint pain such as your hands and knees, you can keep these areas nice and warm and stop joint pain in its tracks.
- Keep Your Vitamin D Levels Up: Low levels of vitamin D can increase your sensitivity to arthritis and joint pain. It can also put you at risk for developing osteoporosis. Since in the winter we often miss out on vitamin D taken in from sunlight, you can try increasing your consumption of the below to combat this:
- Orange Juice
- Egg Yolks
- Stay Active: Though it is extremely easy to skip out on exercising in the winter, staying active can help reduce joint pain. Inactive joints can become stiff and painful in the cold weather, meaning it is important that you find time to get some movement in. The great thing is that you can stay active and have a workout from the comfort of your own home! Some great exercises you can try to help combat joint stiffness are:
- Shoulder rolls.
- Side bends.
- Hip swings.
- Hamstring stretches.
- Pelvic tilts.
- Schedule An Appointment At Comprehensive Healthcare Group: One final way to help avoid joint pain this winter is to schedule an appointment with us at Comprehensive Healthcare Group. By providing services like physical therapy and chiropractic care we will determine the source of your joint pain and work tirelessly to relieve it. You’ll always be in great hands and receive the proper care when you visit our team.
If you dread the coming of winter each year due to increased joint pain, you are not alone. Our team at Comprehensive Healthcare Group has the knowledge and treatment methods necessary to help you get back to living pain-free. If you’d like to learn more tips on how you can avoid joint pain this winter be sure to contact us today!