Thursday, June 28th, 2018
Chiropractor in Valley Stream
Headaches are a common medical condition that many patients experience on a consistent basis, but treatment with a chiropractor in Valley Stream can help. Headache types can range from to the extremely common tension headaches, to the more painful cluster headaches. One of the most well-known and feared forms of headache pain is caused by migraines. Migraines are notorious for causing debilitating pain and discomfort. They can often appear without warning and disappear just as suddenly. Scientists are unsure about what the exact cause of migraines is. However, many believe that genetic and environmental factors play a huge role.
Those suffering from a migraine attack are often left completely debilitated from the pain. The general symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to lights and sounds. In extreme cases, a person might experience visual disturbances as a result of the migraine. While the symptoms tend to be very similar, there are actually several different types of migraines. Two of the most important types of migraines include episodic migraines and chronic migraines.
For those suffering from episodic migraines, the migraine attacks will occur less than 15 times per month. The attacks themselves will tend to last less than 24 hours. A majority of migraine cases, fall under this category. Many people will not experience another migraine attack for quite a while. However, If they are ignored, episodic migraines will eventually develop into chronic migraines over the course of months and years.
For those suffering from chronic migraines, the migraine attacks will occur more than 15 days within a given month. Chronic migraines can lead to a drastic decline in a patient’s quality of life, as they spend nearly half a month in pain and agony. Chronic migraine sufferers often have trouble maintaining jobs and relationships as a result of living with constant pain. a side effect of chronic migraines often includes depression.
Although there is no cure for migraines, there are several treatment options available for reducing pain. One safe and effective treatment option includes visiting a chiropractor. Chiropractors, such as our chiropractor in Valley Stream, have been extremely effective at eliminating migraine pain entirely. They have also been shown to reduce the likelihood of other migraine attacks in the future.
Contact Us Today
Here at Comprehensive Healthcare Group, episodic and chronic migraines are just two of the many different health conditions that our chiropractor in Valley Stream can treat. From spinal manipulation to electrical muscle stimulation, we offer a wide range of different chiropractic services for our patients.
Thursday, June 21st, 2018
Fibromyalgia is considered a chronic disorder defined by broad musculoskeletal pain paired with fatigue, sleep, basic memory, and mood complications. Fibromyalgia heightens pain sensations by changing the way the brain processes pain signals. Comprehensive Healthcare Group, a physiatrist in Oceanside and Valley Stream uses personalized management techniques to reduce these sensations.
Research states that consistent stimulation of the nerves causes the brain of those suffering from fibromyalgia to interact differently. This change elevates specific neurotransmitters in the brain that signal pain. These neurotransmitters develop a memory to pain, becoming more hypersensitive and can cause overreactions to pain signals.
Fibromyalgia is more commonly seen in women and those who have a genetic history of fibromyalgia inside one’s family. Comprehensive Healthcare Group has a physiatrist in Oceanside that offers some of the best treatment for fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia causes one to have aches all over, including some “trigger points” in your body that can continue to ache no matter what at-home remedies you may try. Common symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- General Pain- Dull aches and pains that have been consistent for at least three months. These pains normally occur all over your body, both above and below your waist area.
- Fatigue- Even if you are sleeping for a long period of time, people with fibromyalgia still often wake up groggy and do not feel refreshed. In some cases, those with fibromyalgia may develop specific sleep disorders, including but not limited to restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea. Restless leg syndrome includes a sensation in one’s legs that gives you a constant urge to move to relieve the sensation, while sleep apnea obstructs ones breathing during sleep.
- “Fibro Fog”- The symptom of “fibro fog” impacts the ability to maintain focus to complete basic mental tasks. This fog impacts your ability to choose words and hold conversations.
While there is no determined cure for fibromyalgia, there are management techniques known by our physiatrist in Oceanside to help control pain brought by fibromyalgia. Some of the most successful management techniques come from exercise and relaxation, reducing personal stress is also known to weaken the fibromyalgia pain.
There is not one specific approach known for pain management, but each patient who is seen by a physiatrist in Oceanside has their own disciplined focus arranged to set them up to function at the highest possible level. Rehabilitation is tailored to each symptom of pain to reduce stress caused by chronic pain.
In addition, some exercise will improve your function and diminish pain. Overworking may flare up pain so it is important to listen to your body. It is important to focus on aerobic exercises such as walking, swimming, or biking, one common recommendation is to complete 30 minutes of walking, swimming or biking at least three times a week. Once again it is important to remember that there is no competition when it comes to rehabilitation, everyone's body is different and reacts differently to different portions of aerobics. Slower paced practices include yoga or hot yoga, yoga uses deep breathing and slow movements to relax the body and keep fibromyalgia from flaring.
If you or anyone you know suffers from fibromyalgia or the symptoms of fibromyalgia do not hesitate to contact Comprehensive Healthcare Group, a physiatrist in Oceanside and Valley Stream today.
Thursday, June 14th, 2018
Whiplash is a common condition that causes pain in the neck and head specifically. The most common cause of whiplash is being involved in a car accident. Often times, when the car of the injured person is hit from behind, the force causes the passenger’s head to abruptly jerk forward and then backward. The intense impact can cause the muscles in the neck to stretch and sometimes tear. For a chiropractor in Oceanside or Valley Stream that treats whiplash, contact us here.
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash can cause a variety of uncomfortable symptoms. Some of them include the following:
- Neck pain
- Ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
- Jaw pain
- Shoulder pain
- Back pain
Chiropractic treatments such as manual manipulation may help especially if the spine has been forced out of alignment from the injury. Studies have shown that chiropractic care is a great treatment option for back pain relief. For a chiropractor in Oceanside, visit our website here for more information.
How is it treated?
Receiving treatment quickly is important so that you can catch the injury before it worsens. In the past, doctors would give patients a soft cervical collar to immobilize and protect the injured soft tissues, but recent studies tell us otherwise. Keeping the neck mobile and practicing neck rotations to improve the range of motion can speed up the healing process. A visit with a chiropractor will provide you with a proper diagnosis and treatment regimen that is right for you.
Chiropractic treatments such as hot and cold therapy as well as range-of-motion exercises can be very beneficial for pain and stiffness. For a chiropractor in Oceanside, contact us here to make an appointment.
What is the prognosis for whiplash?
Depending on the severity of your injury, whiplash injuries usually heal within three months. For more mild injuries, the strained and/or sprained ligaments in the neck can take just a few days to weeks to heal. To receive non-invasive, safe and pharmaceutical-free treatment, contact us here to make an appointment with a chiropractor in Oceanside.
Thursday, June 7th, 2018
Many patients report having low back pain throughout their lives. This pain can be caused by anything from poor posture to a herniated disc. Significant research has been conducted to show that low back pain should be treated with chiropractic care in the early stages of treatment. Not only is it effective, but it safe and non-invasive. To make an appointment with a chiropractor in Valley Stream or Oceanside, contact us here.
Common Reasons for Low Back Pain
Low back pain can be caused by a wide variety of things. Sometimes injuries to the vertebrae can create inflammation and pain, and other times poor posture is the sole cause for low back pain. Some of the most common reasons that patients suffer from low back pain are:
- A torn or pulled ligament and/or muscle in the back!
- Also known as a sprain or strain, these injuries are common because they can be caused by so many different things (lifting a heavy object, poor posture, over-stretching, slipping and/or falling down).
- If you think you may have pulled or torn a muscle in your back, contact us here to make an appointment with a chiropractor in Valley Stream.
- Sports injuries
- Degenerative disc disease
- A disease in which the disc between vertebrae within the spine loses hydration, causing tears and weakness.
- Spinal stenosis
- A condition where the spinal canal narrows, compressing the nerves and causing pain.
- Joint dysfunction
Chiropractic Treatments for Low Back Pain
Why should you choose chiropractic as one of your first lines of treatment? The methods that chiropractors use involve little to no risks and zero pharmaceutical drugs. In those that suffer from low back pain, many different treatment options are available. For a chiropractor in Valley Stream, contact us here to make an appointment. Treatment methods can include the following:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustment
- Chiropractors will use their hands to manually align the spine into its proper position. This can improve range of motion, reduce irritability, and most importantly reduce low back pain.
- Chiropractic spinal adjustment
- This is a more gentle approach to spinal manipulation, using a lower-velocity adjustment speed to increase the range of motion in the spine.
- Heat and cold therapy
- Using heating pads and ice packs can reduce inflammation and allow for more blood to flow to the affected area.
- Heat and cold therapy
- Diet counseling
- Many chiropractors may offer lifestyle advice on how you may change some habits such as eating for weight loss to relieve the pressure that the extra weight adds to your back.
- Diet counseling
- This provides deep heat to areas reducing pain and inflammation.