Tuesday, December 27th, 2016
Sprains and strains are among the most common injuries for those seeking physical therapy treatment on Long Island. It is commonly seen during summer from sports injuries and in winter from slip and falls. These injuries can also result from motor vehicle accidents, work related injuries etc. Sprains are different from strains. A sprain occurs when a ligament tears or stretches. While a strain refers to any injury affecting your muscles or tendons.
RICE - rest, ice, compress and elevate, along with physical therapy and exercises are the most recommended sprains and strains treatment. RICE is the first step in relieving pain and swelling to promote optimum healing and flexibility outlined as follows:
- Rest the injured area.
- Apply an ice pack for 10 to 15-minute periods every three hours.
- The next stage involves applying a compression bandage around the area, but not too tightly.
- Finally you should ensure the area affected is kept in a position above the heart, which helps reduce the swelling. This can be done by lying down and keeping the affected areaelevated.
Physical therapy treatment varies based on the severity of the injury:
- Physical therapy for sprains include therapeutic exercises for stretching and strengthening muscles around the affected joint. Joint mobilization techniques are carried out, as well as heat or ice, ultrasound and electrical stimulation.
- Physical therapy for strains includes stretching and strengthening the affected as well as the surrounding muscles. Soft tissue mobilization is carried out to break up the fibrous and the scar tissues. Heat and ice, or either of them, are used as needed for controlling the pain and swelling.
The goal of physical therapy with respect to strains is to enable the healing of the injured muscle as well as preventing scar tissue from building up significantly. The goal is to get patients back into their normal daily routine.
Comprehensive Healthcare Group’s professional team located in Valley Stream and Oceanside specializes in treatment of sprains and strains. We will help you get back to your daily activities and will advise you on how to prevent and avoid such injuries.
Friday, December 23rd, 2016
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) services at Comprehensive Healthcare Group (CHG) aim to restore mobility to those who are immobilized following an injury or disease. The Physiatrists or PM&R Physicians at our Oceanside and Valley Stream offices on Long Island, NY will evaluate your injuries and prescribe the appropriate treatment plan.
Understanding Physical Medicine
Physical medicine and rehabilitation services specialize in the evaluation and treatment of injuries, illnesses and disability. A comprehensive treatment program is then designed to enable the individual to manage their pain and get him/her back to normal life.
Patients are evaluated, diagnosed and treated for various reasons including, work related injuries, car accidents, slip and falls, sport injuries, arthritis and more.
A plan for non-surgical treatment is devised with the aim of restoring the function and mobility of the injured part of the body. Long-term rehabilitative programs are sometimes necessary when the condition is complicated.
The Rehabilitation Process
The rehabilitation process is designed to enhance or restore the functionality of the injured joint, limb, ligament, tendon, muscle or bone. PMR doctors focus on non-surgical treatments for the spine, shoulder, wrist, elbow, hip, knee and ankle. Coordination of care may also involve an on-staff Orthopedic surgeon where surgery is indicated. The goal of CHG's Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation program is to restore maximum mobility to the affected area.
Common treatment modalities include:
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Myofascial techniques
- Manual hands on therapy
- Electrical stimulation
- Heat and cold applications
- Alternative therapies
- Kinesio tape strapping techniques
Trigger point injections, therapeutic joint injections and synovial injections are also used as physical medicine treatment options. Trigger point injections help alleviate pain that’s generated due to muscles forming knots, irritating the surrounding nerves and causing pain. Therapeutic joint injections help in relieving pain caused by inflammatory conditions of the joint. Synovial injections help in lubricating and restoring the elasticity of joints, and are particularly essential for patients with osteoarthritis.
At Comprehensive Healthcare Group, physical medicine and rehabilitation is an important element of our care as it helps people get back to the lives they left behind. With more than two decades of offering dedicated services in the Nassau County area, you can trust our specialists to provide the most professional and customized care.